Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Kahlil Gibran and an analogy comparing reading Dickens to running at a waterfall

I love Kahlil Gibran.

I have loved him since I was in middle school and came to visit my Grandma at the Matheson Courthouse for Career Day (I didn't really want to work at the courthouse, I just wanted to hang out with my Grandma because she loves me the most.)  There was a guy working doing I don't even know what who had the coolest sleeve tattoo, and winding around his arm was this quote.  I wish I could remember which quote it was now, but I remembered he said it was from a guy named Kahlil Gibran.  So of course I went home and looked him up and I've loved him ever since.  Kahlil Gibran is awesome.  He is the third best-selling poet of all time behind SHAKESPEARE and Lao-Tzu.  Suffice it to say, the guy can write.

Today I was trying to read Hard Times on my Kindle (and having a "Hard Time(s)" of it, amiright?) and I decided to take a break and for some reason that break led me to read some of my favorite pieces of Kahlil Gibranese wisdom.

Here are some of my favorite Kahlil Gibran quotes:

"Poetry is a great deal of joy and pain and wonder, with a dash of the dictionary."

Seriously, I don't think there's a better way to describe poetry.


"Love is trembling happiness."

I just think this is a pretty image.

And finally, one of my favorites:

"When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy. When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight. "
How true is this?  Things go sour after a while, and we can't truly mourn that which we've never known, so when we know true sorrow it is because of the loss of something that once gave us joy.  I'm not as articulate as Kahlil, even restating his points, clearly.

Anyway, just thought I would share with you guys.  Are you feeling inspired now?  I hope so.  I, for my part, am not that inspired, or at least, not inspired to do what I SHOULD do, which is either a) read Hard Times or b) go to bed.  Not like I wasn't forewarned.  I took an entire Dickens course from this Professor before, and this semester he told us that reading Dickens is like running at a wall of water.  If you go full speed it will smack you in the face, but if you take you're time you'll be fine.  AND I STILL DIDN'T LISTEN.  Anyway.... adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment