Monday, October 1, 2012

October is the best.

Do you know why October is the best, dear reader I'm still assuming I have?  October is the best because it is PUMPKIN TIME.  I try to drag pumpkin time all the way through February or March if I can.  I'm talking asking my mom and grandparents to buy me canned pumpkin that I can take home and use to make things.  I know that pumpkin is available year round in the can, but mostly it's just the pie-filling variety which, while delicious, is not always conducive to my pumpkin needs.

ANYWAY.  So tonight I was fully prepared to either
a) eat carrots and hummus and chips and salsa for dinner, as I have the past couple of nights...whatever.
or
b) make stacked vegan enchiladas and have food to eat for many moons.

But then I realized I was pretty much out of carrots and I was too lazy/scared to make vegan enchiladas because it seems every time I try to cut a sweet potato, part of my finger is in grave, grave danger of being chopped off.  Plus, I was feeling fall-ish.  My roommate lit a fall-smelling candle.  It was seasonal as all get out in my apartment.  That was when I remembered I didn't make vegan pumpkin mac and cheese the other day.

Vegan mac and cheese has plagued me for a long time now.  It always seems like it's right on the cusp of being FREAKING PHENOMENAL, but one little thing went wrong, like the sauce got too thick or I used too much turmeric.  I decided, however, that it would be worth trying again once pumpkin got involved.

I would seriously put pumpkin in my cereal, just so you all know.  In fact, as I'm typing this I'm thinking, would it really be so bad if I put pumpkin in with my rice crispies and a little agave nectar tomorrow??? And then I am thinking stop it Chloe, you are not going to have any friends if you can not get it together.

So yeah, back to my story.  I figured that someone somewhere on pinterest would have made a recipe for vegan pumpkin mac and cheese, and sho' 'nuff, lots of people had.  Hooray!

I adapted my recipe from http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/13/vegan-pumpkin-mac-n-cheeze-sauce/

Basically, I didn't use djon mustard, I used regular mustard powder and a bit of season salt.  I also added cinnamon, nutmeg, and sage.  I don't know how much.  I got all Next Food Network Star with it (which, if you haven't seen it, is a fantastic show and I love it)

So I had the sauce all assembled, tasted it, heard Amy Grant in my head (Breeeeath of heeeeaven hold me togeeeether) and then I realized oh yeah, I hadn't done the noodles.  So I had to pause for the noodles.  Longest pause ever.

Let me just say this about my vegan pumpkin mac and cheese...if I could marry it, I would.  I would let it be the bride.  I would let it have a custom Vera Wang wedding gown and I WOULD PAY FOR THAT GOWN because I love it so much.  It is quite literally the most delicious thing ever.  I think that if there were angels present right now, they would weep as they sang the melody of Ode to Joy in their tiny angel voices.

That's all.


No comments:

Post a Comment